Stainless Steel Coupling Gear Rigid Roller Chain Fluid Tyre Grid Jaw Spider HRC Nm Motor Flange Gear Pump Rubber Spline Shaft Flexible Universal Joint Coupling
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings.
Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction. However, due to the strength of elastic elements, the transmitted torque is generally inferior to that of flexible couplings without elastic elements. Common types include elastic sleeve pin couplings, elastic pin couplings, quincunx couplings, tire type couplings, serpentine spring couplings, spring couplings, etc
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CZPT requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Compensation for Axial, Angular, and Parallel Misalignments with Flexible Gear Couplings
Flexible gear couplings are known for their ability to accommodate various types of misalignments, including axial, angular, and parallel misalignments. Here’s how they compensate for each type:
- Axial Misalignment: Axial misalignment occurs when the two shafts move closer or farther away from each other along the axis of rotation. Flexible gear couplings can absorb this type of misalignment through their flexible design, allowing the gear teeth to articulate and adjust to the axial movement without transmitting harmful forces to the connected equipment.
- Angular Misalignment: Angular misalignment occurs when the two shafts are not collinear and form an angle with each other. Flexible gear couplings can accommodate angular misalignment by allowing the gear teeth to articulate and flex as the shafts are angularly displaced. This flexibility ensures that torque transmission remains smooth and minimizes stress on the coupling and connected equipment.
- Parallel Misalignment: Parallel misalignment happens when the two shafts are offset horizontally while maintaining parallelism. Flexible gear couplings can handle this misalignment by utilizing their flexible elements to adjust to the lateral displacement of the shafts. The ability to compensate for parallel misalignment prevents excessive forces from being transmitted to the machinery, protecting it from damage.
Thanks to their design and material properties, flexible gear couplings provide a reliable solution for compensating for axial, angular, and parallel misalignments, making them suitable for a wide range of applications in various industries.
Potential Causes of Failure in Flexible Gear Couplings and Prevention
Flexible gear couplings, like any mechanical component, may experience failures if not properly maintained or operated. Some potential causes of failure and ways to prevent them include:
- Misalignment: Misalignment between the shafts can cause excessive stress on the coupling components, leading to failure. Regularly check and align the shafts to ensure they are properly aligned within specified tolerances.
- Overloading: Exceeding the rated torque capacity of the coupling can result in premature failure. Always operate within the recommended torque limits and avoid sudden shock loads.
- Poor Lubrication: Inadequate or improper lubrication can lead to increased friction, wear, and overheating. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for lubrication frequency and use the correct type of lubricant.
- Corrosion: Exposure to corrosive environments can degrade the coupling’s material over time. Select couplings made from corrosion-resistant materials or use protective coatings when necessary.
- Fatigue: Cyclic loading and continuous operation can cause fatigue failure in flexible gear couplings. Ensure the coupling is rated for the application’s required number of cycles and replace it if it shows signs of fatigue or wear.
- Temperature: Operating the coupling at temperatures beyond its limits can lead to material degradation and reduced performance. Check the coupling’s temperature rating and operate within the specified range.
Regular inspection, maintenance, and adherence to the manufacturer’s guidelines are essential to prevent failure and ensure the reliable performance of flexible gear couplings. Implementing preventive measures can extend the couplings’ lifespan, minimize downtime, and enhance the overall efficiency of the machinery they are part of.
Different Types of Flexible Gear Couplings and Their Applications
Flexible gear couplings are available in various designs, each suited for specific applications based on their features and capabilities. Some common types of flexible gear couplings and their applications include:
- Full Gear Couplings: These couplings consist of two hubs with external gear teeth that mesh with an internal gear sleeve. They offer high torque capacity and are commonly used in heavy machinery, such as steel rolling mills, cranes, and conveyors.
- Half Gear Couplings: Half gear couplings have one flexible half with internal gear teeth and one rigid half with external gear teeth. They are ideal for applications requiring torsional rigidity and misalignment compensation, such as pumps and compressors.
- Nylon Sleeve Gear Couplings: These couplings have a nylon sleeve inserted between the gear teeth of the hubs and the internal sleeve. They are known for their vibration damping properties and are used in applications where noise reduction is essential, such as printing presses and textile machinery.
- Chain Gear Couplings: Chain gear couplings use chains to transmit torque between the hubs. They are well-suited for high-speed and high-torque applications and can accommodate significant misalignment. These couplings find applications in turbines, generators, and large fans.
- U-Joint Gear Couplings: These couplings have a universal joint-like mechanism that compensates for angular misalignment. They are commonly used in automotive drivetrains, agricultural equipment, and marine propulsion systems.
- Spacer Gear Couplings: Spacer gear couplings have two hubs separated by a spacer that accommodates large misalignments. They are commonly used in paper mills, mining equipment, and other heavy machinery.
When selecting a flexible gear coupling, it is essential to consider the specific requirements of the application, including torque, speed, misalignment, and environmental conditions, to choose the most suitable type for optimal performance and longevity.
editor by CX 2023-09-05